The Greatest Loss of All
I’m going to keep coming back to this topic because it is so important that all parents — including adoptive parents — to understand their own emotions around this issue, so they can better understand their children’s sometimes very intense emotions.
Thanks again to therapist Dr. Victoria Jordan, for presenting this model of the Six Primary Feelings:
1. Glad – “Yes!–this works just fine”
2. Mad – “I want things to be different”
3. Sad – signals loss or grief process
4. Hurt – deep personal damage
5. Fear – possible danger, take a closer look
6. Shame – “I am defective, flawed, or just plain bad”
You will notice there is a line separating the first two emotions.
On November 8, 2011